The tax credit is almost over so what do you need to do in order to make sure you get your credit back ASAP?  Well the Washington Post’s excerpted article below should provide some guidance to make sure you turn everything in right the first time.  Make sure you speak with your tax professional about submitting the proper forms and they can give you an idea of when your tax credit should arrive. 

“The Internal Revenue Service has clarified which documentation taxpayers need to submit to claim the first-time and move-up homebuyer tax credit.

While the IRS is still requiring the filing of Form 5405, it is not demanding that all parties’ signatures be on the HUD-1 settlement document in areas where requiring both the buyer and the seller to sign the document isn’t common.

The IRS clarification says: “In areas where signatures are not required on the settlement document, the IRS has clarified that it will accept a settlement statement if it is completed and valid according to local law. … The IRS encourages those buyers to sign the settlement statement prior to attaching it to the tax return.”

For repeat buyers, the IRS is seeking documentation that home buyers have lived in the previous property for a consecutive five of the past eight years. Proof can include property tax records, home owner insurance records, or mortgage interest statements.”

Source: Washington Post (02/20/2010)

Follow me on Twitter